PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt she recognize JIN?

03-15-2009, 06:11 AM
This may have been discussed before. But in Episode 5,season 5, Jin is seen with the French woman (srry for my spelling)--Danielle Roussouo?
Why doesnt she recognize him in 2004? I know its been 16 years, but if you just crashed on island and met a strange person wouldnt you recognize them even if its been 16 yrs and that person looks the Exact same?

notsolost42
03-15-2009, 06:13 AM
This may have been discussed before. But in Episode 5,season 5, Jin is seen with the French woman (srry for my spelling)--Danielle Roussouo?
Why doesnt she recognize him in 2004? I know its been 16 years, but if you just crashed on island and met a strange person wouldnt you recognize them even if its been 16 yrs and that person looks the Exact same?

Here's my wise cracking answer:

Daniel Rousseau is so nuts, she wouldn't recognise herself in the mirror!!!

chester
03-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Here's my wise cracking answer:

Daniel Rousseau is so nuts, she wouldn't recognise herself in the mirror!!!

Hey, maybe in LOST its the crazy people who are really sane.......and get this.........it's the sane people who are really crazy.

Seriously though, there seems to be some kind of memory issue associated with the Island or at least the show (as is shown with Daniel's seeming inability to remember more than a couple of cards. When this is explained it might also explain why Rouss... why the French chick couldn't remember Jin the second time around. Apart from the obvious fact that she's crazy - maybe alzeimers?

woogie
03-15-2009, 06:53 AM
What proof is there that she did not recognise Jin? (I personally have not rewatched the firsts scenes of Jin and Rousseau) In Lost, I'm sure there is a reason the characters never seem to "call the other out" in certain scenarios. For example: It's 1977, Jin could very well end up stuck on the island until 1988, the year that Rousseau arrives to the island. (I think technically, Jin would first want to avoid the times that he "flashed" and ran into Rousseau and avoid seeing himself) Jin could have an entire history with Rousseau (that the audience is unaware of, and Jin is unaware of because it has not happened to him yet) and she may have no reason to call him out when she sees him in the future(815 crash). Sixteen years on the island... you start to accept certain things on the island.

notsolost42
03-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Hey, maybe in LOST its the crazy people who are really sane.......and get this.........it's the sane people who are really crazy.

Seriously though, there seems to be some kind of memory issue associated with the Island or at least the show (as is shown with Daniel's seeming inability to remember more than a couple of cards. When this is explained it might also explain why Rouss... why the French chick couldn't remember Jin the second time around. Apart from the obvious fact that she's crazy - maybe alzeimers?

You could see that her clock wasn't wound all the way when she stepped off the raft! I think it's just her...she's always been the crazy French chick!

wiley
03-15-2009, 06:56 AM

I think the simple fact that when they met in 2004 was in fact the first time they met. When Jin skipped back in time was the second time he met her but was the first time she met him. Now that Jin has skipped back and met her, if she was still alive I think that memory would pop in her head. I think Daniel was experimenting with the time differential of the island when he was trying to remember the cards. Also do you remember the cards? (3,10,6) If you stretch it a bit 316!

notsolost42
03-15-2009, 07:00 AM
I think the simple fact that when they met in 2004 was in fact the first time they met. When Jin skipped back in time was the second time he met her but was the first time she met him. Now that Jin has skipped back and met her, if she was still alive I think that memory would pop in her head. I think Daniel was experimenting with the time differential of the island when he was trying to remember the cards. Also do you remember the cards he picked? (3,10,6) If you stretch it a bit 316!

So wait, Dan was remembering the future that hadn't yet happened, right? This proves a time loop!!!!! Great catch!!!! You couldn't possibly remember the future if it hasn't happened yet but it did a happen before!!!! Quite the opposite of Des having a dream and remembering something that happened a few years in his past!!! Terrific!!!!! Nice work!!!!

wiley
03-15-2009, 07:05 AM
So wait, Dan was remembering the future that hadn't yet happened, right? This proves a time loop!!!!! Great catch!!!! You couldn't possibly remember the future if it hasn't happened yet but it did a happen before!!!! Quite the opposite of Des having a dream and remembering something that happened a few years in his past!!! Terrific!!!!! Nice work!!!!

Perhaps, but he got one of the cards wrong. not sure what that means if anything.

notsolost42
03-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Perhaps, but he got one of the cards wrong. not sure what that means if anything.

It only means his memory is not perfect, which we already knew. I think you really found a great clue and suppportive evidence for a time loop. Really. Great job!

ortrules
03-15-2009, 07:43 PM
So wait, Dan was remembering the future that hadn't yet happened, right? This proves a time loop!!!!! Great catch!!!! You couldn't possibly remember the future if it hasn't happened yet but it did a happen before!!!!

Your thought process here makes no sense to me. How is he remembering the future?

Baibe
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Did they even have scenes when they were together in the first season? My take is who's to say she didn't regonize him? If you meet people who already think you are crazy and then you claim to have already met a man that just arrived on the island, it would not help convince people you weren't crazy. She has been on the island for 16 years and seen some crazy stuff so she might have just excepted the fact that things are not what they appear and the island is more than meets the eye.

Baibe
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
You could see that her clock wasn't wound all the way when she stepped off the raft! I think it's just her...she's always been the crazy French chick!
Naw... I don't think so... she really started goin crazy when her crew came out of the temple. She was a normal pregnant lady with a husband before that. Once she started seeing all this crazy stuff she went crazy and plus the people took her baby. (the dingo ate my baby!!!) (Sorry it just reminded me of that)

ortrules
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Naw... I don't think so... she really started goin crazy when her crew came out of the temple. She was a normal pregnant lady with a husband before that. Once she started seeing all this crazy stuff she went crazy and plus the people took her baby. (the dingo ate my baby!!!) (Sorry it just reminded me of that)

I don't think Rousseau ever actually went crazy. I think she saw a lot of crazy things happen (her crew changing, Jin disappearing, Alex being stolen) but I don't think she ever lost her sanity. We just assumed she was crazy because all the things she said sounded crazy, but so far they've proven to be the truth.

Baibe
03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't think Rousseau ever actually went crazy. I think she saw a lot of crazy things happen (her crew changing, Jin disappearing, Alex being stolen) but I don't think she ever lost her sanity. We just assumed she was crazy because all the things she said sounded crazy, but so far they've proven to be the truth.
That's true and I can agree.

woogie
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
What proof is there that she did not recognise Jin? (I personally have not rewatched the firsts scenes of Jin and Rousseau) In Lost, I'm sure there is a reason the characters never seem to "call the other out" in certain scenarios. For example: It's 1977, Jin could very well end up stuck on the island until 1988, the year that Rousseau arrives to the island. (I think technically, Jin would first want to avoid the times that he "flashed" and ran into Rousseau and avoid seeing himself) Jin could have an entire history with Rousseau (that the audience is unaware of, and Jin is unaware of because it has not happened to him yet) and she may have no reason to call him out when she sees him in the future(815 crash). Sixteen years on the island... you start to accept certain things on the island.

dunno if anyone saw it

ortrules
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
dunno if anyone saw it

I saw it, and I agree. There is no indication that Rousseau didn't recognize Jin. Those two weren't even featured in many scenes together in the first seasons.

Plus, the 815 people already thought she was crazy, so what purpose does she serve by going even more "crazy" when she sees Jin again?

chester
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I saw it, and I agree. There is no indication that Rousseau didn't recognize Jin. Those two weren't even featured in many scenes together in the first seasons.

Plus, the 815 people already thought she was crazy, so what purpose does she serve by going even more "crazy" when she sees Jin again?

Could be. Could be. There's still alot we don't know about what's going on. I think there's quite a few instances where the characters know alot more than they are letting on.....

Baibe
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Sorry, yea saw it after I replied tho. But I agree.

islander
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM

I totally agree. If anything she was somewhat paranoid but not crazy.

During the flash sequence, she recognized Jin the second time she saw him after one or two flashes (right after her island-style divorce) so she had remembered meeting him initially. I think we decided she and Jin really didn't have any lengthly contact after the 815 crash so she really didn't have the chance to recognize him.

tpbaxter
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM
i don't remember if Jin and Rousseau meet after the crash but i'm guessing that if they did Jin would have had short hair at that time for some reason. i still don't understand how or when Jin's hair grew long and got curly. perhaps that is one reason for not recognizing him (if she in fact did meet and not recognize Jin).

Trumby
03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
This same thought can be put towards Ethan and Locke as well. Sure Ethan can't tell anyone that he shot Locke in the past..but he sure had to have remembered him when he first saw him in season 1.

TuesdaySmith
03-16-2009, 12:37 AM

I think you're right on about the not calling people out thing.. especially after knowing what we know now about some of the losties being in the DI in the late 70's, and Richard having met Locke in '54.

Panda
03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Some people are not good in recognizing people.

Some people spent like 6 years together in secondary school. So they see each other daily. And than every one goes another way.
Not everyone is that strong in recognizing people when they haven't seen them for years. Sometimes they only feel like "he or she looks familiar" but they can't say where they met them before or what the name could be.
So in "normal" life where you live in a chronological time line it seems already hard for many people to remember names and faces. So why would that become easier when you start skipping through time?
Yin's face may be exactly the same.....but how is Danielle her brain?
I mean, she meats Yin only for a while in a time with many traumatic events.
Shipwrecked, husband and other crew getting mad, killing the all off, losing her baby Alex....What will the brain store?
She may also think later on that he was only one of "the others", as she never meats him again during long 16 Years.
She clearly doesn't trust that easy people. She sees everyone else as "the others".
Yin new there was a radio tower on the Island. So she could easy interpret it as if Yin must have been one of the others....those who know the Island very well.
And that he just lied to her that he got shipwrecked himself.

Dr Violence
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Well i think its because when they meet in 2004 Jin has not time travelled so it has not happened, therefore there was nothing to remember. However if Danielle was still alive she would (like desmond) have the memory popped into her head.

beachblinkette
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I consider it to be a great mercy if I were in multiple universes, time traveling and time-looping that I would not be able to remember all the scenarios I would have been through. Can you imagine trying to keep it all straight? Maybe it's a dispensation granted to those on Lost. You saw how upset Daniel Faraday was when he saw the plane underwater. We can only store so much in our memory cells and as we age, the ones we seem to remember most vividly are the earliest ones. Charlotte's memories before dying are one example. Reminds me of the "dying" computer Hal in 2001 A Space Odyssey. His final memory was singing a nursery rhyme or some such, wasn't it?

ortrules
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Could be. Could be. There's still alot we don't know about what's going on. I think there's quite a few instances where the characters know alot more than they are letting on.....

There are a ton of instances where characters know more - Juliet is a prime example. Also, if the flight 815ers actually talked to each other, they would have a much better idea about what's happening. For instance, the entire Jack vs. Locke ordeal could have easily been solved by Locke telling Jack that he was once paralyzed but could walk again when he arrived on the island. Problem solved. Jack is a believer.

chester
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
There are a ton of instances where characters know more - Juliet is a prime example. Also, if the flight 815ers actually talked to each other, they would have a much better idea about what's happening. For instance, the entire Jack vs. Locke ordeal could have easily been solved by Locke telling Jack that he was once paralyzed but could walk again when he arrived on the island. Problem solved. Jack is a believer.

So maybe that doesn't solve the problem then......maybe he tried that before - didn't work - yeah Jack became a believer, but .......BOOM !!! :eek::D

beachblinkette
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I have often thought that they could have solved many issues by openly communicating with each other. It's like the characters are islands to themselves, ON an island. We get to see the mistakes they are going to make and we have the anxiety of seeing SOME of the big picture. For me, the frustrating incommunicado routine we see on Lost continues to make the show
a must see!!

ortrules
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I have often thought that they could have solved many issues by openly communicating with each other. It's like the characters are islands to themselves, ON an island. We get to see the mistakes they are going to make and we have the anxiety of seeing SOME of the big picture. For me, the frustrating incommunicado routine we see on Lost continues to make the show
a must see!!

This is true and I don't disagree in anyway. I realize that solving the Jack vs Locke issue would take away a huge part of the show, but cases like that you just want to scream at these people. :D

beachblinkette
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
This is true and I don't disagree in anyway. I realize that solving the Jack vs Locke issue would take away a huge part of the show, but cases like that you just want to scream at these people. :D
Speaking of screaming at them (as we have all done I'm sure!) I wish someone had the means to do a montage showing different groups of fans reacting as they are watching the show--- especially during the AhHAH moments. Now that would be a real KICK!! Just for fun!!LOL

chester
03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
There are a ton of instances where characters know more - Juliet is a prime example.

The intances that immediately spring to mind for me are when Charlie shot Ethan and his behaviour after the Swan implosion....and just last episode when Richard was 'talking' to Sacharin Sawyer on the bench.... Ahhhhhh!!!

woogie
03-16-2009, 07:19 PM

This isn't that important but....
I do not know if Jack would even believe Locke if he told him he was paralyzed before the island...Jack didn't even believe Locke moved the island even after Locke told him something was going to happen AND saw the island vanish. For some reason it took Locke dying to convince Jack...

Gamar
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
There is a simple reason, back in 2004, the writer didn’t know yet that they would send Jin back in time, so back in 2004, the French woman was the first time she saw Jin. When the final episode will air, there will be, probably, more than a dozen mistakes like that one.

joobjoobie7
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Maybe in some instances they could not react to seeing them again in the future. Whats happened happened, so even if Danielle wanted to talk to Jin abaout it she couldn't, because it would change the timeline, which isn't "lostly" possible.

Cheers

Chronos
03-18-2009, 12:06 AM

Well... she did stare a lot at people throughout her interactions with the Losties... and just never said much.

But, she's obviously seen Smokie, and heard the whispers... she knows something's off on the island.... and it's what's driven her crazy.

What's crazier... seeing the smoke monster or some dude you met 20 years ago still walking around and not looking aged. I don't think Rousseau's interactions (or lack thereof) with Jin in 2004 are relevant to the story.

Besides... we all know that the characters don't share much information anyhow.

Sir William
03-18-2009, 03:17 AM
My thought is that Rosseau does not recognize Jin in 2004 because it hadn't happened in her past. When he does show up in 1968, she would immediately remember him from her past. IMHO it is the same situation with Desmond and Faraday. It wasn't until Faraday told Desmond to find his mother that he remembers it in the present. And, he remembers it as a memory, not a dream.:confused: Boy, I really liked the comment that she doesn't recognize him in 2004 because TPTB didn't know in the future that they were going to make 1968 a memory. They certainly have a better grasp on this paradox time travel thingy than I.:o

woogie
03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
My thought is that Rosseau does not recognize Jin in 2004 because it hadn't happened in her past. When he does show up in 1968, she would immediately remember him from her past. IMHO it is the same situation with Desmond and Faraday. It wasn't until Faraday told Desmond to find his mother that he remembers it in the present. And, he remembers it as a memory, not a dream.:confused: Boy, I really liked the comment that she doesn't recognize him in 2004 because TPTB didn't know in the future that they were going to make 1968 a memory. They certainly have a better grasp on this paradox time travel thingy than I.:o

Rousseau cant remember it in the present (like Desmond) because she is dead. Just because she never acknowledges Jin or says "i know you!" or whatever doesn't mean that she doesn't recognized him...there is NO evidence that she doesn't recognize Jin. You cant get in her head and tell what she is thinking unless the producers show us.

Sir William
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Rousseau cant remember it in the present (like Desmond) because she is dead. Just because she never acknowledges Jin or says "i know you!" or whatever doesn't mean that she doesn't recognized him...there is NO evidence that she doesn't recognize Jin. You cant get in her head and tell what she is thinking unless the producers show us.

good point. but, I don't think there is any proof of the flip side of that idea. we really don't know definitively either way whether Rousseau reccognized Jin or not. I am simply throwing it out there as an idea without substance.

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM

FINALLY! someone who understands it! spot on! She did not remember him in 2004 because it hadn't happened! when he eventually goes back in time a memory occurs but before that it hadn't happened. SIMPLE!

chester
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
FINALLY! someone who understands it! spot on! She did not remember him in 2004 because it hadn't happened! when he eventually goes back in time a memory occurs but before that it hadn't happened. SIMPLE!

I'm sold. Until (if) something happens to convince me othewise, there are at least three of us who agree. Sorry I didn't express my agreement when you posted earlier. I did mean to.

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm sold. Until (if) something happens to convince me othewise, there are at least three of us who agree. Sorry I didn't express my agreement when you posted earlier. I did mean to.

Ha no worries man, did think i would get at least one reply thou. I think its the most likely situation with whats going on. also thou i agree the writers probably didn't expect to go in this direction originally so the ''hadn't happened yet'' senario covers them on this.

chester
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Ha no worries man, did think i would get at least one reply thou. I think its the most likely situation with whats going on. also thou i agree the writers probably didn't expect to go in this direction originally so the ''hadn't happened yet'' senario covers them on this.

I thought you would've too! As soon as I read it, and got my head around it, Occams razor did the rest.

What else you got?

abcd1234
03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
whats coccums razor?

also i have to disagree with the "it hadnt happend yet theory" because I am pretty sure it was established last episode that everything that is going to happen has already happened. i.e jin always showed up when danielle's crew were on the beach, it doesnt change what has happened, it already happened. like how locke saw richard and richard saw him in the hospital.

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 12:50 PM
whats coccums razor?

also i have to disagree with the "it hadnt happend yet theory" because I am pretty sure it was established last episode that everything that is going to happen has already happened. i.e jin always showed up when danielle's crew were on the beach, it doesnt change what has happened, it already happened. like how locke saw richard and richard saw him in the hospital.

Thats because they were still alive to remember it, the memory only happens once they have travelled back in time. which is exactly what happens with desmond. i think its simple really but thats just my opinion.

abcd1234
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
in desmonds case yes, but for other storylines the idea is that the 06 were always in the 70's and they arent changing history but doing whatever it is they already had done. they were always in the 70s. just like when we saw lockes flashback, and richard came to him as a child. locke eventually goes back and tells richard to see him, but richard seems him before he goes back.

like bill and ted with the garbage can booby trap

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I thought you would've too! As soon as I read it, and got my head around it, Occams razor did the rest.

What else you got?

Well... I think people look too much into the slightest thing on here but i guess thats what keeps it going. also the worst ever idea is ''Jacob is Vincent'' or jack waking up on the day of the crash is the end of lost. no no no its not.

chester
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=abcd1234;175174]whats coccums razor?QUOTE]

Occum's razor is the suggestion that the simplest answer is likely to be the right one. Giving that it is only this property which logically separates the alternatives, or something like that....

chester
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Well... I think people look too much into the slightest thing on here but ...

That's bound to happen, unless everyone thinks the same.

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
in desmonds case yes, but for other storylines the idea is that the 06 were always in the 70's and they arent changing history but doing whatever it is they already had done. they were always in the 70s. just like when we saw lockes flashback, and richard came to him as a child. locke eventually goes back and tells richard to see him, but richard seems him before he goes back.

like bill and ted with the garbage can booby trap

Well my friend i can see where your coming from but im gonna stick to my theory here.

ortrules
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Thats because they were still alive to remember it, the memory only happens once they have travelled back in time. which is exactly what happens with desmond. i think its simple really but thats just my opinion.

I don't believe this is true either. When Desmond woke up with that memory, it was 2008 his time. When Dan started flashing through time, it was Jan 2005, 3 years before Desmond wakes up with this memory. Furthermore, when Dan spoke to Desmond at the hatch, it was 2001-2004, 4-7 years before Desmond woke up with that memory.

So even if the memory only happens once they travel back in time, why did it still take Desmond that long to receive the memory? Shouldn't he have instantly received the memory in 2005 when Dan jumped, or in 2001-2004 when Dan spoke with him?

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't believe this is true either. When Desmond woke up with that memory, it was 2008 his time. When Dan started flashing through time, it was Jan 2005, 3 years before Desmond wakes up with this memory. Furthermore, when Dan spoke to Desmond at the hatch, it was 2001-2004, 4-7 years before Desmond woke up with that memory.

So even if the memory only happens once they travel back in time, why did it still take Desmond that long to receive the memory? Shouldn't he have instantly received the memory in 2005 when Dan jumped, or in 2001-2004 when Dan spoke with him?

Well I think that ''real time'' is 2008 so he would not remember it until the time he was actually living in properly. hope that makes sense. i know what i mean anyway...

chester
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Don't you have work to do? :D

We see Des wake up, in '08/'09 and he "remembers" the Daniel encounter that didn't happen in '01 before now. But now it did or has happened, so now he remembers it. Does this not make any sense??? LOL

ortrules
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Well I think that ''real time'' is 2008 so he would not remember it until the time he was actually living in properly. hope that makes sense. i know what i mean anyway...

But Desmond got off the island in 2005 and then three years later he woke up with that memory. Penny confirmed that for us. Meanwhile, Dan spoke to Desmond only a day or so after Ben turned the wheel in early 2005. So that's still 3 years that went unaccounted for that Desmond didn't have that memory.

I honestly believe that something in his memory was simply triggered and allowed him to remember that.

ortrules
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Don't you have work to do? :D

We see Des wake up, in '08/'09 and he "remembers" the Daniel encounter that didn't happen in '01 before now. But now it did or has happened, so now he remembers it. Does this not make any sense??? LOL

I have no work to do. And the bosses are out today, so I really have no work to do. :D

Jeremy
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
But Desmond got off the island in 2005 and then three years later he woke up with that memory. Penny confirmed that for us. Meanwhile, Dan spoke to Desmond only a day or so after Ben turned the wheel in early 2005. So that's still 3 years that went unaccounted for that Desmond didn't have that memory.

I honestly believe that something in his memory was simply triggered and allowed him to remember that.

But see, that's the problem. There's no way to measure the amount of time that passes when it's always skipping. Locke told Charles that it only felt like it had been four days since they had first met, but that is only how Locke interperated it. There's really no way to tell.

abcd1234
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I am pretty sure what daniel was saying was that they had already done what they are going to do, the past is written. see, how charlotte told him that he warned her - that happend already in the 70s. now daniel is in the past and he eventually will warn her, whether he wants to or not its kind of written. same thing with locke/richard

chester
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I have no work to do. And the bosses are out today, so I really have no work to do. :D

You don't even have to pretend to work?! Wow, you got a job like mine :D

Dr Violence
03-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Now that's a point! but its kind of a bit off and does not make sense because it doesn't point to the ''what happened, happened'' theory or for my own theory that danielle does not remember Jin because it had not happened yet.

maybe its a mistake, but your right, des should have remembered the faraday/hatch conversation days after escaping the island if im correct by my theory.

However we don't know what the time difference actually is between on and off the island.

Trumby
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
In tonight's episode we see it has been three years for the "pasties" (Sawyer, Juliette, Miles, Jin, and Dan), as well as three years for the '06, because Sawyer, Jack, and Kate talk about it. We shall see..

lkeegan
03-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I think your right, i've noticed this in the rest of them, never questioning themselves.

Sir William
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
by the way, Daniel said you cannot change the past. but, he went to the hatch anyway to tell des to go to oxford. therefore, imo he was positive that the statement he made was true