Go Back   LOST.COM Forums > The Island > Theories
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar

Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Default No more Theories - Lost Finale Explained

Lost Finale Explained: Answering the Unanswered Questions

Some people thought the ending couldn’t have been any sweeter, while others are either frustrated or disappointed with how Lost ultimately wrapped.

THEY WERE NOT DEAD THE WHOLE TIME
It's CLEARLY explained in the final minutes of the finale episode by Christian Shephard. The original Oceanic 815 plane crash happened. Everything on the Island through seasons 1-6 happened. The “flash sideways” universe introduced in season 6 was a sort of stop-over point between life and afterlife..the “purgatory FS universe"
There is no "clock/time" as they all died in different time periods on the Island, some before Jack and others possibly centuries later (Hurley). the finale focused on Jack and when he was ready to “let go” or “move on” to the next phase of existence – i.e., the true afterlife...the flash of light at the end was when Jack died on the Island.

WHAT WAS THAT FINAL IMAGE OF THE CRASHED PLANE?

ABC has already explained that this was just a transition point to the next program.
Plus the image of the plane crash (if you look closely) has memorabilia from the Lostie’s time on the beach where they first made camp.

WHAT WAS DESMOND’S POWER?

Desmond was able to “wake up” from the purgatory FS universe,and then "Awaken" all the others.
Desmond is a sort of “constant” in the show. No matter what happens, when, or where, Desmond seems somehow immune to the Island’s energy (which has electromagnetic properties) and has awareness that can transcend space and time (his consciousness shifts as seen in episodes like “The Constant“).

THE ISLAND

The Island is a container for the energy of life & death that seemingly links this world with worlds beyond throughout the universe.That energy is represented by light and water, and if that light goes out and the water stops flowing, the world/universe will end. Everything magical or fantastic about the Island stems from this energy, and many of the technological oddities found on the Island (the Swan Station from season 2) are a result of the Dharma Initiative trying to harness and control that energy.
MIB become a smoke monster (devil) when his corrupted soul was exposed to the light & water by Jacob who was the pretector of the Island (after his "mother" and all the other "candidates" who came to the Island before.
Jacob was the one who made the rules and once those rules were established they were set until somebody (Jack,then Hurley)) changes them. This is the reason why the MIB was obsessed with “finding a loophole” in order to kill Jacob; it’s also why Jack was ultimately able to kill the MIB. Smokey was connected to the energy source, and when Jack had Desmond “turn off” that energy, Smokey lost his powers and was merely flesh and blood again.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE BABY DRAMA?

One of the earliest running sub-plots of the Lost mythos was the notion that pregnant women died on the Island before they could successfully give birth.
Simple answer? Story developments made the issue a moot point in later seasons. Aaron was born fine, Sun eventually gave birth off the Island. So really, when you think about it, there was no more of this story left to tell.
Or maybe the electromagnetic affects of the Island just aren’t good for fetuses. Either way.

WHO BUILT THE STATUE?

As for the relevance of the statue to the Lost mythos: It was evidence that the Island had been around for a long, long, time,and that people had been coming to the Island throughout history. So basically it was a way to let people know, “This place plays a pivotal role in mankind’s existence.”

THE WIDMORE/ BEN LINUS CONUNDRUM

In the end, I think the Lost writers went for “It is what it is,” approach with the mystical rules governing the Island; they are convenient plot devices that support the story at various points, but don’t really hold up when looked at in conjunction with the entire series. The Widmore/Linus conundrum is simply one of those holes – a weak point of the Lost mythology, for sure.

WHAT HAPPENED TO WALT?

Walt and his father Michael did make latter season Lost appearances: Locke visited Walt off the Island in the season five episode “The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham” and Michael appeared to Hurley as a ghost in season six, explaining the whole “whispers on the Island” thing. Still, many fans wondered why Walt, Michael and the “tailie” priest, Mr. Eko, didn’t reunite with the other cast members at the purgatory all-faith church in the finale.
Well, Michael we know is stuck on the Island as a “lost soul/whisper” because he can’t move on, due to his killing of Libby and Ana Lucia in season two. Walt was freed from the Island early on, so the journey that bonded the Oceanic passengers in the purgatory universe was one that Walt was never really part of.
As for Mr. Eko, his death in the season 3 episode “The Cost of Living” showed that Eko had come to peace with his life. When told by the ghost of his brother Yemi to “Confess his sins,” Eko refused, saying that he had no guilt to confess; in his life, he did what he had to do to survive. The smoke monster evaluated Eko, and killed him..making Eko another lost soul/whisper.

WHAT ABOUT THE NUMBERS?

The numbers 4-8-15-16-23-42 – steered Hurley to the Island in the first place (he went to Australia to find out about them), and served as the code for releasing the Island’s tapped energy in The Swan station. The numbers also showed up again and again throughout the show (Danielle’s papers, on medicine Claire and Desmond take, on Mr. Eko’s stick, etc…).
So in the end the numbers had to do with fate, and were a nice little numerology motif for the showrunners to play with (and a mathematical mystery for fans to agonize over). THE END.

THE DHARMA INITIATIVE

In “The Man Behind The Curtain“, we learn all about Ben Linus’ childhood with the Dharma Initiative. The episode ends with the chilling revelation that Ben –conspiring with Richard – betrays “his people” in the initiative and mass murders them using nerve gas – including his own father. Ben then reveals to Locke what ultimately became of the Dharma Initiative: The Others threw their bodies into a gruesome mass grave.
We know that Richard is an emissary of Jacob,and Richard does Jacob’s bidding. So if Richard instructed Ben to kill the Dharma members,that implys that Jacob instructed Richard to do so, much the same way Jacob’s “mother” slaughtered the men on the Island when the Man In Black got to close to them?
What it really means is, that MIB/smokey fooled Richard,Ben & whoever else into doing his bidding,by them thinking it was Jacob.

WHAT ABOUT THE BOMB?

The bomb propelled the Losties back through time to the present day, where the Swan station (a.k.a. “The Hatch”) was now a slightly different version of its former imploded self .
In the end though, the outcome is the same: Whatever conduit to the Island’s energy source that the Dharma Initiative tapped when they made the Swan station was ultimately exhausted. Whether it was exhausted by the bomb Juliet set off, or the the moment in season 3 when Locke lost his faith and refused to push the button (“Live Together, Die Alone“) the energy was released, and The Swan was destroyed. The Losties made it back to the present, and there was never two timelines.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like

The way I look at it all of season 5 was not necessary since they introduced the flash sideways and purgatory!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 11

*Sweeps the floor, chases out all the chirping crickets, shuts off lights and hangs "Closed" sign on the Theories Section door*

Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like

The message to Miles from dead Juliette was "It worked."

If the nuke caused the incident, what happened when Desmond turned the failsafe key? Wasn't THAT supposed to be the nuke? Or were there two nukes?

What it really means is, that MIB/smokey fooled Richard,Ben & whoever else into doing his bidding, by them thinking it was Jacob.

This could confirm what I suspected, that Jacob's Cabin was in fact MIB's Cabin. When the circle of ash was broken, this represented the loop being broken, which occurred after Jacob was murdered.

Last edited by Flight 815; 06-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like

OAL -- thanks for your summary. Pretty well done!
I was confused for a long while... took me a bit of work to finally figure things out. The "purgatory" was there until all of the survivors eventually passed on. I was a little thrown by this, because Hurley would supposedly be immortal, given that Jack passed on Jacob's powers and the island light was restored. But maybe he passed the torch on to someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight 815 View Post
The message to Miles from dead Juliette was "It worked."

If the nuke caused the incident, what happened when Desmond turned the failsafe key? Wasn't THAT supposed to be the nuke? Or were there two nukes?
Yes, it did work. It brought them back to the point at which they had left for 1977. But unfortunately, it did not "reset" everything where the crash never happened. It did happen. But the nuke in combination with the special energy of the island created a special "Flash Sideways" universe, a kind of holding place or "purgatory". All of the crash survivors would meet there, including Desmond.

When Desmond turned the fail safe key, it caused the Swan station to implode. Without the Swan station, instabilities resulted in the fabric of space-time, causing some people to shift in time. That's how they ended up in 1977. Desmond was sent on a very bizarre journey, a kind of Quantum Leap through various points in his life. His special nature was the link, the constant... once he could "ground" himself and stop time shifting, the time shifts stopped for everyone. But unfortunately, some people were still in 1977 at that moment. See above paragraph for that resolution.

As for your other questions, MiB fooled a number of people, but he never appeared as Jacob. And yes, I'd agree that the cabin actually belonged to MiB. Jacob could appear to Richard at any time... no special place was needed.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but it still doesn't make sense. The last images didn't throw me off, but the plane flying overhead as Jack died, did. If Lapidus got them off the island, then where the hell did they go? Shouldnt they all "die" too? Why bother taking them off the island if they all would wind up in the same place?

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Christian Shephard "explained everything clearly" in the end, when, he didnt. All he said was that they didn't die at the same time, which I found to be a big "DUH." Yea they didnt die at the same time, but that doesn't explain the alternate universe, Undead dead Locke, why Ana Lucia "wasnt ready," is she in a coma somewhere? Why Ben couldn't go inside, when Locke could even though he did some evil shizznit too.

I mean, I loved the end, and I love the show, but I don't think everything is as clear as you make it out to be. Answers lead to more questions. Not everything is as straightforward, its all really just personal perception, which may make sense to you, but not to everyone else, you know?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like

^ If you think of everything in linear time, it doesn't make sense. The "flash sideways" was really more of a "flash forward" and not grounded in the corporeal.

The trouble is that TPTB didn't spell it out for each character, explaining their life cycle. They focused on just a few and left the rest up to our imagination. In the end, everybody dies... and in this case all of these souls wound up in the same "waiting place". They all get there at different times. But it doesn't make sense if you try to piece it all together in a linear fashion. And once together, they make the next step together.

But yeah, I'm still a little miffed about not understanding who Jacob and MiB were, as well as their mother. They started out as seemingly normal kids and then... well, you know the rest. Jacob ended up having this responsibility for keeping his brother (MiB) on the island, with the consequence of letting him go possibly ending the world. Yet, MiB only wanted to leave and get back with "his people." There was never any indication of a plan to destroy the world. And so Jacob embarks on this elaborate plan to attract replacement candidates to the island, anticipating that MiB will one day kill him. Isn't it ironic that the very act of attracting people facilitated MiB being able to kill him. Anyway, none of this was explained. It made it a little difficult to swallow other things dependent upon it.

Last edited by myu; 02-04-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Default Numbers

Ever heard of the LOST Experience? It explains some aspects of the Lost universe that were not adressed by the show. The numbers have much more meaning than the OP said. The "Valenzetti Equation" is an invented formula for determining the end of the human race, with the NUMBERS as its primary constants. The work being done by the Dharma Initiative was financially backed by Alvar Hanso, who was trying to alter the constants to delay the destruction of mankind. The work of the DI was meant to help humanity survive through research in new medical technologies, etc. The radio tower was set to broadcast the prime constants of the Equation, so as to notify those off the island if any progress had been made in humanity's salvation, thus changing the equation, thus changing the numbers.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpeters View Post
Ever heard of the LOST Experience? It explains some aspects of the Lost universe that were not adressed by the show. The numbers have much more meaning than the OP said. The "Valenzetti Equation" is an invented formula for determining the end of the human race, with the NUMBERS as its primary constants. The work being done by the Dharma Initiative was financially backed by Alvar Hanso, who was trying to alter the constants to delay the destruction of mankind. The work of the DI was meant to help humanity survive through research in new medical technologies, etc. The radio tower was set to broadcast the prime constants of the Equation, so as to notify those off the island if any progress had been made in humanity's salvation, thus changing the equation, thus changing the numbers.
I think there are lots of posts relating to the LOST experience if you search the main forum threads. There were lots of people on this forum that played the args and we certainly enjoyed the clues that were revealed. It's a good idea to bring this up again now though because i'm sure that there was other info that was revealed at the time that didn't really mean much then but can be looked at in a whole new light now We've reanalysed the episodes since the show finished but i'm not sure that anyone has reviewed the info that was contained in the ARGs.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Send a message via MSN to Desi420 Send a message via Yahoo to Desi420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockharpered View Post
Sorry, but it still doesn't make sense. The last images didn't throw me off, but the plane flying overhead as Jack died, did. If Lapidus got them off the island, then where the hell did they go? Shouldnt they all "die" too? Why bother taking them off the island if they all would wind up in the same place?

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Christian Shephard "explained everything clearly" in the end, when, he didnt. All he said was that they didn't die at the same time, which I found to be a big "DUH." Yea they didnt die at the same time, but that doesn't explain the alternate universe, Undead dead Locke, why Ana Lucia "wasnt ready," is she in a coma somewhere? Why Ben couldn't go inside, when Locke could even though he did some evil shizznit too.

I mean, I loved the end, and I love the show, but I don't think everything is as clear as you make it out to be. Answers lead to more questions. Not everything is as straightforward, its all really just personal perception, which may make sense to you, but not to everyone else, you know?
It was mostly clear. Now if I remember correctly, the plane flyung over head was able to escape because the "cork was unplugged" and it took time to start it up again. Ana Lucia didn't move on because she was trapped by the Island... just like Micheal and others. Ben didn't WANT to move on for the fact that he was happy for once and wanted to see how it turned out. Locke wasn't the one that did the F***ed up things, it was MiB who did the evil things.